Friday, May 09, 2008

Fever

This is a long post. I wrote it since Wednesday night and only complete it now. L is still having her fever as I am typing this..... Daddy is sponging her now and soon it will be my turn.

Wednesday/7th May

L came home early from school.... She called us during recess and said she was having headache. I told her if she is still feeling sick later, she has to inform the teacher. Just after I pick up Z from school, daddy called and asked me to pick L immediately. L called from the general office....

I hurriedly sent Z back home to daddy and rushed to her school. She was sleeping in a room.... She looked so tired when I saw her. Poor girl... When I touched her forehead, it was HOT! She told me her friend touched her forehead and realised that she was hot (children nowadays so smart hor, know how to tell whether a person have fever or not). They informed Ms Liang. Ms Liang confirmed that she has fever... One of her classmates helped to packed her bag and the monitor helped her to carry the bag to the general office. That was very sweet of them. I also realised that my girl is very well-liked by her classmates :) She told me they were all very concerned when they saw her like that. She was not her usual self then, bubbly and chatty.

When we got home, I measured her temperature and was shocked to know it was 40 C! I quickly fed her medicine and sponged her. Hours passed..... The temperature never really went down, it was between 38.5C to 40C. I was worried if it may be dengue or HFMD (her classmate just recover from it).

By 10pm, I couldn't take it anymore! I brought her to our family doctor. Usually the fever would subside after 1 or 2 doses but not this time... Doc couldn't find out what was wrong with her and said it could be viral fever or some bacteria fever. I was paranoid! It has never happen to L, having fever and fever doesn't subside. Doc said if by tomorrow morning, the temperature is still at 39C & above, I will have to bring her for a blood test. She was given 2 days MC.

She did her last exam paper (Chinese)today... She told me she couldn't concentrate when doing the paper and she was like dozing off. How to concentrate when she is having fever? Nothing is more important than her health. I told her it is ok...

Thursday/8th May

This morning, just when we thought she is better, her fever shot up again, 39.9C! Gosh! Daddy brought her for the blood test while I cooked for lunch and picked Z up from school. Later, I found out that from daddy it was bacterial fever. Huh? I have never heard of that. I am so ignorant! Viral fever I know but bacterial fever? Doc gave her extra medicine and put her on antibiotic. Doc was reluctant to give her that as she was given antibiotic recently. But looking at her condition, he has to give it to her.

An hour later, her fever still maintain at 39.5C.... I asked daddy to go get the 'bullet' for her... We inserted the 'bullets' at 3+ pm, not 1 but 2 ! I can't take it anymore! No matter how much we sponged her, the fever still maintain at that or go down a little! My heart ache when I see her, whole day she lie down on the bed or the sofa.... And she has not taken any meal at all!

At about 8pm, she said she is feeling hungry. I was so happy and I thought maybe her fever is going down. Nope! It was not! I checked and it was at 39C. But I was glad she has the appetite to eat. I cooked noodle for her instead of eating the dinner that I have prepared. She ate only half bowl of noodle and some sliced pear.

At 9+pm, we inserted the 'bullets' again.... Her temperature was at 39.6C! After an hour and half, we called our Doc to ask why her fever has not subside. He said it takes 2 to 3 days for the antibiotic to take effect. My cousin told me it takes 2 hours or more for the 'bullet' to take effect. After hearing what our Doc said, we decided not to send her to the hospital.. I am not sure if we are making the the right decision... We told ourselves if by 3AM her fever still maintain at that temperature, we will send her to hospital.

Her fever is going down very slowly.... Just before daddy took over, her temperature is at 38C. She couldn't sleep well coz we were sponging her. Sorry Sweetie... Let 's hope when I check on you later, your fever has subside...

I am feeling so sleepy now...

12 comments:

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy,

Heartpain... : (

Yeah, Bacterial Fever is more stubborn than Viral fever. Need to keep giving L the medication and monitor her temperature.

I wish that L will recover well from this fever and both you and LZ daddy also must take good care of yourself.

rgds,
astee

Anonymous said...

poor girl and poor u. hope she gets well soon

J@n!ce said...

I felt sore hearing that your bubbly gal is unwell. Looks like she is really sick this time round. Is there any rashes on her?

Btw, I heard that it is not wise to keep giving the "bullets" within such a short period of time. The bullet needs time to take into effect abt 1 - 2 hrs. You have to take note of that. I rem my doctor told me before that some kids may not be able to take it.

I bet the school will be lenient when marking her papers since she is medically unfit then.

I hope she can get well soon after taking the antibiotics that is the best Mother's Day present you hope to receive isn't it?

Hugs to her & you have to take care too :)

Anonymous said...

oh dear so sad to hear abt L! her fever is indeed v high! hope she recovers soon.

Teni

Anonymous said...

Can I share? Yes my elder one had this before. It takes time, how long? depends on the immunity system of the child.

I guarantee you if its just purely bacteria fever, she is fine, she will be...

So far what you guys have been doing is fantastic...this was what I did for my son:

- Sponging every alternate hours
- Cold bath 2x a day (not at nite)
- drink cool (not cold) plain water every one hour, even if its just a sip, its good. because sponging and cold bath is for exterior, we need interior cooling and that's water itself.

hope this help...

My Lovely 'A' said...

O dear, I hope she get well soon. Well, health is more important the exam paper. If this happen to my son, I will do the same.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

oh poor L, hope she gets well soon.

you also take care...


huisia

blurblur said...

Poor L, i hope her fever has gone down by now...get well soon, girl!

And you take care of yourself too, Jane..

Rachel said...

OMG! Poor L! Health is def more important than the exam! She looks fine on Tuesday, still so bubbly!

I'm actually quite used to this kinda temp already as mine 3 kids temp when they are down with fever are always hovering around 39 - 40... One thing I was told by my doc is not to sponge with cold water. It will bring the temp higher. Jus sponge her with tap water temp...

Hope she get well soon. And you take care yourself too.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear..hope she's better now. Take care Jane..

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness... i do hope L is feeling better now... and you too LZMommy...take care dear... *HUGZ*

mama WnW said...

Oh dear, really hope L gets well soon. Take care!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

MyBabies

MyBabies