Friday, May 09, 2008

His First Do Re Me

Last week, Z supposed to have his FIRST piano lesson but the staff forgot to inform me that the teacher took MC for that day! I was very angry! I rushed to make arrangement and get Z all ready for the lesson and she FORGOT to inform me. The lady was very apologetic and I accepted her apology.

Finally today he has his FIRST lesson :) He was very excited and so was I! He has been telling jiejie "you know, I am going for my piano lesson!" Before we decide on piano lesson, I asked Z what kind of instruments would he like to learn. He can't decide between violin and piano. Sometimes he tells me piano, sometimes violin, eventually he decided on piano. I was glad that he decided on that coz we have a piano at home :) I remembered I went for my piano exams when I was 7 months pregnant with Z! I think the examiner might have worried that I will 'pop' in the room! Haha!

Jiejie was full of envy... She has told us many times she would like to learn musical instruments but her schedule is so tight. I told jiejie if her school result comes out good, we will consider letting her learn. We don't want to learn too many things at one time and not able to cope with her studies. She agreed... She was supposed to have her ballet lesson at this time but since she just recovered, we thought she should take a break from it. Daddy can't make it home early so I had to bring her along for the lesson.

Back to Z's first piano lesson :) Z told me he would like to get a pressie for his teacher but we ran out of time. I told him we would give his teacher a pressie when it is Teacher's Day. Lucky he was ok with it :p I asked Z if he remembered where is the music school and which level, he happily showed us (jiejie & me) the way. We collected his books needed for the lesson and waited patiently outside the room. I asked Z if he was ok going into the room on his own but he wanted me to be there.

We saw his piano teacher for the first time when she opened the door. She is a very young teacher, speaks English with an accent. I think Z was a little shy when he went in to the room. I asked the teacher if it is ok for L and I to join in. She said ok :) The room was pretty small, with only a spare chair for me to share with L. Later, I can't take it as L is quite heavy. She sit on the floor instead and read her storybook.


Theory

They started with the theory....He seemed so focus and I was very happy about it. He was taught the 2 black keys & 3 black keys. Learned to identify the alphabets, C, D, E, F, G, A & B. The teacher told him if he can't remember, just sing the ABC song.


Pracitcal

Before they start on the keyboard, teacher taught him the right posture, which he was doing since beginning of the lesson. Then he was taught the techniques for the hands and the fingers. Thereafter, they moved on to the keyboard. He learned to identify the 2 black keys, using index finger and tall man (3rd finger) and the 3 black keys. He has problem using 3 fingers to press on the 3 black keys so teacher asked him to use 4 fingers. The first song that he learnt was "Two Black Ants", using only index & 3rd finger on 2 black keys. I think he didn't do well for the song but that was expected for his first lesson :)

Overall, the teacher said he did pretty good for a 4 yr old. :) He just need to practice more on the keyboard and also he is focus. Well Done baby! Good thing the lesson was only half hour, I think if it was longer, he will feels bored. Or L will dozed off inside the room! Hahaha.... I think we like the teacher, she addresses him by his name many times (when she praises him), it gives him recognition. This will be the only time I get to sit on for the lesson. Hope the next lesson my boy is willing to go in on his own and will continue to enjoy the lesson :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...how I envy your boy...if only I could afford...my 4-year-old would be in piano lesson too...

J@n!ce said...

Wow wow, I'm so impressed. You Z is really full of talent. First lesson can cope so well :)
Good Job....

Rachel said...

Z so attentive..I like the teacher too..very patience. And Z is coping so well...

From the video, z suddenly look so matured! Big boy alr...

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

MyBabies

MyBabies