Thursday, June 26, 2008

What happened - Part 2

This a very very long post. I try not to miss out any details as Z will read it when he is older. I was interrupted many times while writing this & the previous post cos my Prince Z constantly needs my attention.

Photobucket
On the hospital bed

When we arrived at the ward (23rd Jun), Z was rather happy.neutral He asked me again if I was staying with him, of coz I was! Then he said could I get his stuffs for him, like Goofy & his Dino cards. Forgot to mention in the previous post that he was given pain killer at the A&E, that's why he cheered up and didn't seem to feel the pain.

Just as he was about to get ready sleep, one of his doctors came in and talk to me about his condition. He told me that Z definitely need surgery to help him recover and that they will try to arrange him to have it done at 0100hr but he had to further discuss it with the other doctors. Honestly, I couldn't concentrate on what he was telling me.... All I know was that my boy needed surgery.confused

Shortly after that, another doctor came in and talked to Z... It was nice of him to talk to Z about Thomas the engine, which is one of his favourites. They excitedly talk about it and the Doctor said if Z behaves himself tomorrow, he will get lots of Thomas & friends stickers from him and also promised him that he will get to play bubbles too. I didn't tell Z what will happen the next day... I don't know what to tell him and if I tell him the details, I think he will freak out. I only told him that the doctors will try their best to make him feel better and help him recover fast.

Then just when he was about to fall asleep, the first doctor came back with another doctor. He seemed more experience than the first one, let's call him Doc A. He told me what will happen tomorrow and why was it necessary for him to have this operation. He told me that Z had a Rt Supracondylar fracture type 3, they were to do a closed reduction and percutaneous pinning. Articles on this can found HERE & HERE. There are risks in this surgery as there are nerves around it. They planned to insert 3 pins to it. If this procedure fails, they will have to make a small cut and insert metal plate instead. It was scary to hear what he said.cry

15 mins after he fell asleep, the nurse came in and told me the surgery were scheduled at 0700hr. She advised me to wake him up to have something to eat as he will not be able to eat anything till noon time. Poor boy.... I woke him up and we went downstairs to grab something to eat. He ate chips, sandwich and a bottle of milk! Boy, he was hungry! He fell asleep 10 mins later... While he was sleeping, I went home to take a quick shower, packed his stuffs and get jiejie's things ready for the next day.

(24th Jun)I couldn't sleep when I was there, pacing around his bed and it was cold. It was sweet of the nurse to get me a blanket. At about 6am, the nurse told me the OT(operation theatre) just called and it was time for Z to wake up. My poor boy..... He was very tired... The nurse wanted to get him a wheelchair but he refused to use it. He kept asking if I will there with him and I found out from the nurse I can keep him company till the surgery starts.

When we arrived at the OT, Z didn't want to go in, the nurses and I coaxed him to go in and with a little bit of dragging, we manage to get him in. He was better when the nurse showed us to a waiting room full of toys. Few of the medical staffs came in and talked to us, asking me questions like allergy, name, etc...

About 0700hr, we were directed to the OT room 12. It was scary.... I can't imagine what my poor boy will be going through in there. There were 3 doctors and 3 nurses with us and I found out much later that his main doctor (a senior orthopedic surgeon) was there. That means he had 4 doctors attending to him! First, the doctor gave him the stickers as promised. Then I was asked to carry him on my lap and sat on the chair. One of the nurses started playing bubbles with Z and I was asked to hold him tight. One of the doctors blocked our view and hold on to his arm and the other trying to find the vein to proceed GA (general anesthesia) on him. He struggled during this time and the doctor asked him to start counting backward. Before he could do it, he knocked out and they took him from me and placed him on the table... I cried... I couldn't help it. I wished I could be there with him throughout.cry

It was an ordeal waiting for the outcome outside the OT. An hour later, the senior surgeon came to tell me that the surgery was a success and another doctor will soon come out to inform me with more details.

10mins later, doctor A came and we went in to the OT again. This time, the doctor showed me the x-ray again. When I asked him how bad was the crack, he told me it cracked through and through! I didn't know it was that bad! I cried again... He said they have inserted 3 pins into it, 2 from one side and the other, 1 pin. The surgery was a success and they do not need to do the other method. What we have to do is to make sure there's no complication and infection after that. He also said soon the nurse will pushed Z to the recovery room and were trying to wake him up. Meantime, I will have to wait for the nurse to call for me just in case when he wakes up and ask for me.
Photobucket
After the surgery and back to the ward

When I saw my boy, he was still 'sleeping' and they pushed him back to his ward. The bandage was more than double of his arm. It was painful to see him like that. My cousin came around this time to see him. He didn't wake up till lunch time and before that one of the staffs came to check on him and insisted on waking him to check if he can moves his fingers, she tried but to no avail. When he woke up, first thing I did was gave a big kiss and offered him water. He didn't complain of any pain, probably the GA still have effect on him (doc told me he gave Z a stronger dose). I was told to start him off with water, sip by sip. Then an hour later was he allowed to eat. By then, I rushed to pick L from school and LZdaddy stayed to to feed him and his colleagues was coming. Later I received a call from LZdaddy that Z vomited all the food. I think he forgot to feed Z slowly...
Photobucket
Watching TV programmes before having his Macdonald meal

I decided to postpone L's lesson to Saturday so she can visit her brother. She was happy and I was glad that I did that.

L: Mommy, are we going to see didi now?
Me : Yes
L : Can I hug him?
Me: I think it will be difficult for you to hug him now. He just had an operation.
L : Then can I kiss him?
Me: Of coz Sweetie smile
L: Great!
Photobucket
He asked one of us to tickle his feet and jiejie volunteered

Photobucket
While daddy settling the bill, he dozed off. Does he really looks like a girl? All the nurses call him 'she'.rolleyes

Knowing that my kids like Macdonald, I bought it for their meals. LZ had their meals together and this time, I fed him slowly. I was glad that he did not vomit this time round. During this time, another of my cousin came. Later, we were told by the staff that we have a choice to check out this evening or the next day. LZdaddy preferred him to stay another day but I insisted that he should go home. I thought this means that he was ok and he would be more comfortable at home. Well, I was wrong.
Photobucket
While waiting for daddy's car and first time on a wheelchair. Holding balloon from daddy's colleagues

Everything he does, he needs our help, going to toilet, sitting on the sofa etc. He was also frustrated too. I understand... There so much things that he can't do at this moment. He didn't sleep well throughout the night and that include all of us. I was also worried for L as she didn't get enough sleep. Let's hope things will be better as time goes. The doctor told me that I should observe Z that he doesn't come down with fever during weekend. This is a crucial time. If he has fever, we should immediately bring him back to the hospital. It also means that he has an infection.

16 comments:

jean said...

LZmommy, I am sorry to read about Z's mishap. I can imagine your feeling, and you have been strong for your children. *hugs*

Take care ya, and wish Z recovers soon..

家有三宝 said...

my tear drops because L was so caring and love of his didi. I deeply understand your feelings LZmommy. Don't worried,hope Z get well soon!! Take care ya~

Mommy Lose Weight said...

Oh LZmommy, a big hug to you.

I can fully understand the pain and suffering you have gone through when you are alone in the hospital.

when my son was only 5months old, he was hospitalised twice (he had broncitis) and I stayed with him throughout. the hospital was so cold, my son didnt know how to speak yet and all he could do is cry and cry, vomit and vomit.

it's so tough that I cried everyday as I looked at my son. so LZmommy, I really can understand how you feel.

now we really hope that Z will not develop any fever. do take care of urself too. keep us posted.

Angeleyes said...

Glad that the op went well and Z is happy again.

Take care!!!

3lilangels said...

My heart goes out to you. Hope the post op will go as smoothly. Will keep Z in my prayers. Meanwhile, take care of yourself too.

kelly said...

Be strong!*hugs*

Rachel said...

KKH is so wonderful with kids...think they are trained to trick and handle the little ones...

hope he recovers well.

Rachel said...

KKH is so wonderful with kids...think they are trained to trick and handle the little ones...

hope he recovers well.

LZmommy said...

Once again, Thank you Ladies :)

LHS said...

Hope L is feeling much more better now, that's really an exhausted night for you, do take care my friend.

Jan Lee said...

My heart felt so pain reading your detailed posting and I could just imagine how many more times the pain you felt and endured the entire experience.

Lets hope this is the last time such unfortunate things happen to our babies.

And hope when Z grows up and reads back your postings, he will know how much you loved him!

Angeline said...

This is horrible, one fall and yet it turned an active boy to an almost totally helpless boy....I'm having a headache now, I can't imagine what's your state now.

Idy said...

Hi LZmommy, I am sorry to hear about this accident. I have been to see an orthopaedic surgeon myself and I know how scary it can be. Glad that the operation was a success and Z will be better soon. Take care.

allthingspurple said...

Poor Z, must be really scary going into that white and cold OT room. But he is such a brave little boy to bear with it!

Vyvy said...

ohh dear... i didn'thave time to blog hop the whole of this week and the moment i came here i read this bad news. poor boy... but seems like he's pretty brave. Bravo to him.

Hope he'll recover real fast so that all of you can have a good rest.

J@n!ce said...

Its just pains me seeing those photos of Z. I hope he will have a speedy recovery. You have to take care too. L is so sweet as usual. Its such a blessing that you have a thoughtful daughter :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

MyBabies

MyBabies