Thursday, August 28, 2008

Spend Wisely

We planned to give her $5 initially for the trip, then I changed my mind, thinking she may want to buy veggies since she likes to eat it so we gave her $10, including money for her meal. We were not sure how much the food (though she told me the burger cost only $1/-) cost so better give her more.

We trusted her to spend her money wisely but she didn't. Haiz.... She spent $1 on burger and $2 for the milo at the farm which I have make it clear that she was not supposed to spend money on drinks since I packed a packet of juice for her. Then when she was back at school early, they spent time at the canteen, she had a curry bun ($1 -which is fine with us as long as she spend it on food) and she went the BOOKSHOP! She bought a word finder book, which cost her $1. I was angry coz she called me when she was back at school and she didn't ask for permission to buy things from the book store. I had make it very clear to her that if she wants to spend money at the book store, she will have to ask. I don't want her to spend money like that... Haiz... sad

Then 2 of her classmates 'took' money from her! Both the classmates wanted to eat but their mommies did not give them any money (one of their mommies were on the trip but left earlier). They asked from L! I am mad coz they never mentioned about returning money to my girl! Why they need $2 each? I know the girls have their water bottles with them, there are water coolers in the school and most of the food like chicken rice cost only a dollar. I told my girl she should have share the snacks that I packed in her bag or tell them they must return the money. It was worst when she couldn't remember what happen to the other 90 cents (she used 10 cent to call me)! She spent $10 in a day! This will be the one and only time we are giving her so much for a trip!

I hope she learned something from the trip and also to spend money wisely. Girl, I hope you know those are daddy's hard earned money, so please think before you buy anything. Please don't disappoint us again.... And please ask you friends to return the money.

Today, her friends did not mention about returning the money... Haiz... My girl 'forgot' to ask them. I told her to call one of them since she has the number. She couldn't get her and I called her daddy's phone (she gave my gir's 2 numbers). The girl's dad did not know anything and he said he will clarify. We shall see if anyone of them return the money..... They will meeting again during the school holiday and I shall ask my girl to tell them to return by then.

Do you borrow money from your classmates when you are at this age?

9 comments:

I am Princess Misha's Mum said...

ops .. naughty naughty kids :(

Misha does bring some cash to school but told her only can use it during emergency ie when no food to eat etc etc but cannot tell her friends that she has cash .. hehehe :)

anyway, kids nowadays are different :(

LHS said...

if i were you, i would ask for the returning of money too, imagine, they are just so little, but already acted as if they were in real money world.

Angeline said...

nope my friends GIVE me money...seriously! I don't ask, cos it reminded me of my mom, and I hate to be anything close to what she is...but I have kind friends and they GIVE me money of buy me food to eat...

L's case is VERY similar to my eldest niece's case, which I've written a post on this issue before...

sometimes its more than just what was related by your child...you never know....

Rachel said...

wow..guess u are fuming mad..

I don't give Rachel that much for her field trip. if i don't pack any snack for her, the max I gave is $5 (if she need to buy food) otherwise, only $2 for just in case..but she's a stingy girl (hahaha), so she only buy necessary..

As for money lending, in the beginning of the school term, one of her classmate did that too..she didn't lent it to her but ask her to borrow it from their teacher..her reason why she didn't lent? she told me that is our hard-earned money.

she is a very stingy one.

Angeleyes said...

I think L is still too young to know the value of $$$ so you will have to talk to her more...

Michelle said...

Lzmommy,
I can understand your feeling. Nowadays the kids don't understand our hardearned $. My boy will also request me to buy things for him when his classmates have it. I will try to reject 1st to let him knw he shldn't thk tat way. But in the end I still buy for him. I really hope one day he will be sensible.

allthingspurple said...

This happened to Kimberly before too, thrice! I had to tell the discipline teacher so that the discipline teacher can have a quiet talk with the other girl because sometimes its hard for our little ones to say "no".

My Kimberly find it so difficult to refuse and even though I told her to just share her bento instead of buying a 2nd portion of food from the canteen for that particular friend.

Perhaps when they are older, they learn that it is not "unkind" to say "no", and that it is "not okay" to ask your classmates to buy treats for you. Even though we teach our own kids not to ask favours from other people, other kids' moms may not have done the same.

blurblur said...

Wow..kids these days are so daring..borrow money and yet treated as nothing happened!! Better make sure they return the money...and don't be too harsh on L, I'm sure she's just being nice to lend the money to her friends.

Aces Family said...

Hi LZmommy,

I believe L will still need time to get used to spending because the temptations ard are hard to resist.

As for the borrowed $$, you can approach her teacher to mediate, rather than you approach the parents. Also at the same time, let the teacher inform the children about borrowing $$ from friends are not advisable.. : )

rgds,
astee

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

MyBabies

MyBabies